Active Directory Web Service
Easily access Active Directory from your .NET client to retrieve the current logged-in user and get details for other users based on the user alias.
- Get user information from Active Directory
- Auto-fill form fields - no coding needed!
- Works in browser-enabled forms
- Call from Web page - no InfoPath required
- Web server running ASP.NET
- .NET client (InfoPath form, Webform, Winform, etc.)
- Limitations: cannot get data across domains
- Datasheet [pdf]
- Active Directory Web Service documents
- Video Tutorials
- See also: "Add Active Directory Lookup" section in DBXL Getting Started
Qdabra's Active Directory Web Service supports the following methods:
- GetMyInfo: Gives the Active Directory properties of the currently Logged In user
- GetUserInfo: Gives the Active Directory properties of the specified user name
- FindUsersByAlias: Find any users with an alias matching the specified search string
- FindUsersByName: Find any users with a name matching the specified search string
- GetManagerAlias: Returns the alias for a user's manager if one is set
- GetEmployeesForManager: Returns a list of employees reporting to the specified manager
- GetMembersOfGroup: List the users in a specific group
- GetGroupsForUser: Lists the groups that the user belongs to. Defaults to currently logged in user.
- IsUserMemberOfGroup: Returns true if the user is part of the specified group
- GetAllUsers: List all users in your domain for quick selection.
- GetMyDomains: Returns a list of the DBXL domains to which the current user belongs.
After installing, you can query the Web Services Description Language (WSDL) for AdUserInfo.asmx to see a full list of Web methods.
New Feature in January 2013:
- Added alternate path support for Active Directory to allow a second LDAP path to be searched.
- We currently do not have a standalone free trial, but you can install a free trial of DBXL which includes ADWS
- Qdabra Active Directory Web Service: $595
- Qdabra Active Directory Web Service Enterprise Version: $1,995
- Qdabra Active Directory Web Service Enterprise Perpetual Version: $2,995
- Available in our Web Store
SupportThe latest update was released January 18, 2013. You have 180 days for a free upgrade with the standalone version and 1 year for the Enterprise version. If you have purchased from the Web store, log in to your account to download the latest version. 180 days free upgrade for standard version, and 1 year upgrades for enterprise version.
What Our Customers Say
Another benefit to add would be that the GetUserMemberships method of the User Profile Service in 2010 does NOT return Security Groups, which is a big problem. We need ADWS in order to retrieve Security Group memberships for people in 2010 until Microsoft fixes it, but they just told me it won’t happen until SP2 at best.